Each week, the Filles bring you some of our favourite films finds of the week - news, reviews, features, interviews, tweets, new releases, etc. - just in case you missed them.
REEL GREAT READS
- The Next Big Thing (NOW): A profile on Jessica Chastain. Maybe you've seen her in The Help. Or The Tree of Life. Or Take Shelter. Or The Debt. Oh, and look for her in Wilde Salome. Because she's just killing it this year. (We recommended you check out both the online and print version. Online for the extra interview sound clips. Print for the pretty high gloss and TIFF pull-out.)
- 25 Fall Movies We Can't Wait to See (EW): An sneak peek at some of the most buzzed-about movies of the season., including J. Edgar, The Muppets, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Moneyball. and A great way to get a head-start on scheduling your next few months of movie club.
- Unspooling the story of Roger Ebert's life (Globe and Mail): A short, but sweet feature on the most famous movie critic of our times, whose new memoir, Life Itself, hits stores next week. At one point he admits one of the most oft-ignored truths: that Dolly Parton has "healing powers."
- The first Toronto After Dark Film Festival titles (TADFF): Movie monsters cage fighting? Zombie buddies on a road trip? Something called Theatre Bizarro? Like we weren't already out of our mind excited for what some us might say is the second-best Toronto-based film fest.
- Contagion: As if germs weren't scary enough on their own, this film heightens our germophobic fears. And it stars Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Winslet and Matt Damon!
- Creature: This one brings back the spirit of old school monster flicks. And even though we've already seen the "creature," nothing seems like it's really been spoiled; he's still pretty freaky looking.
TRAILER OF THE WEEK: Retreat
Cillian Murphy and Thandie Newton take in a hurt stranger who procedes to tell them that the outside world is contaminated by a virus. They're on a secluded island, so they have no way to contact the outside world. And this dude looks like he might kill them if they try.