Each week, the Filles bring you some of our favourite films finds of the week—news, reviews, features, interviews, tweets, new releases, etc.—just in case you missed them.
REEL GREAT READS
- Friday the 13th: A Retrospective (IGN) - It's probably evident that we're big Halloween fans. But we also love Friday the 13th. IGN reminds of why the slasher series was (and still is) so great, with ratings, gore level and body counts.
- Gonzo gone wrong: Why heroic drinking doesn't make for heroic characters (The Grid TO) - Despite Hunter S. Thompson's adoration, Jason Anderson explains why characters in films of his semi-autobiographical works don't yield the same response.
- Scores that Scare: The 8 Most Frightening Movie Soundtracks (Video Word Made Flesh) - The impact of sound in horror cannot be understated. Here's a list of some of the films that did it best.
- Here's how to get a walk on role in Joss Whedon's next movie (The Mary Sue) - The geek lord (creator of Buffy, Angel, Firefly and the new Avengers movie) is offering up a guest spot in his movie, In Your Eyes, to the highest bidder on eBay. WHY DON'T WE HAVE MONEY?!
- I gave 'A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas' an A. And yes, the movie deserves it! But no, that doesn't mean it's 'The Hurt Locker' or 'Citizen Kane' (EW) - This is why we love Owen Gleiberman. He's not afraid to rate his films on actual enjoyment as well as quality. This quote alone pretty much sums up our feelings about film too: "If we can't ever say that our lowbrow popcorn really does taste great, truly great - maybe, in some cases, as great as awards season haute cuisine - then we're just being dishonest about what draws us to movies in the first place."
- Surviving Progress - A doc comparing our obsession with progress to the defeat of civilizations past, featuring the perspectives of Stephen Hawking, Jane Goodall, David Suzuki and Margaret Atwood, among others.
- Tower Heist - The movie proclaiming that the old Eddie Murphy is back, alongside Ben Stiller, Matthew Broderick, Téa Leoni, Casey Affleck and Gabourey Sidibe.
- A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas - Doesn't it just look like a perpetually fried festive miracle?
TRAILER OF THE WEEK: American Reunion
Stifler's mom and Jim's dad? Okay, now you've sold us.