16.1.12

Gimme Five!: Most-anticipated Horror Movies of 2012

Join us every other Sunday as we treat you to a handful of the best and worst movies, characters, scenes, lines and or other significant cinematic moments. At least in our opinion.




A few great gems aside, 2011 was a pretty crappy year for horror. It was more of a year for the marginally horror films, suspense thrillers like Straw Dogs and Red State, and sci-fi like The Thing and Apollo 18. Of course, it was also the year of Scream 4Insidious and brilliant indie find Grave Encounters, but I draw the line there.

But this upcoming year seems like it'll make up for it all with its endless promising list of horror releases in store. I was seriously tempted to write "Gimmie Another Five" later just so I could squeeze in 10 picks, but I painstakingly cut it down to the five I really can't wait for.

WORLD WAR Z



Brad Pitt in a zombie movie? I used to think that Brad Pitt could choose no wrong when it comes to movies, and when he chose baseball movie Moneyball, I thought it was the beginning of the end. But I was so wrong. When I first heard of World War Z, I was tempted to think the same. But Moneyball convinced me that I will be wrong. (Release date: December 21)


PROMETHEUS


It's the prequel to Alien that we're told is not the prequel to Alien. And like its unofficial sequel, strong women Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron take the lead alongside Michael Fassbender and Guy Pearce. (Release date: June 8)


SINISTER




A true-crime novelist (Ethan Hawke) seeking inspiration stumbles upon a box of home videos of an entire family murdered in what is now his new home. But uncovering the murder isn't as "crime thriller" as you might suspect when the story becomes supernatural. (Release date: August 24 October 5)


THE CABIN IN THE WOODS




This movie looks like the outcome if you'd combined Friday the 13th and Cube: a horror sci-fi thriller set in a cabin in the woods inexplicably like a maze where our main characters are caught up in a mad chase. (Release date: April 13)


THE WOMAN IN BLACK




Ghosts in creaky, dusty old houses? That's my kind of horror. Because ghosts are real. Judging from the trailer, styling looks amazing, scares look haunting and Daniel Radcliffe seems like more than Harry Potter. (Release date: February 3)

Honourable mentions: The Innkeepers, The Apparition, The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes (possibly)

No comments:

Post a Comment