7.8.11

Never Seen It! Sunday: Ghost World

You know when you're talking to someone you think is like totally happening in a far out way and they ask if you've seen their favourite movie and you lie and say you seen "parts of it" because you don't want to seem like a total pop culture pariah? Yeah, we do too - and we hate ourselves for it! That's why we're vowing to watch at least one movie we've put off, ignored, rejected or just plain-out forgot about every week from now on. Join us as recount the popping of our cinematic cherries, complete with awkward, over-analytical details!


Photo: movieposter.com

GHOST WORLD

DATE RELEASED: July 20, 2001

DATE ACTUALLY WATCHED: July 25, 2011

WHY NOW?: After following Comic-Con all weekend, my mind was on comics (and other very cool related things). And as I've said before, I don't really read comics (unless my school readings force me to read Maus and Palestine). But as a follower of Comic-Con (for films and TV shows mostly), I completely understand the awesomeness of comics and can't figure out why I haven't read them. So I decided, I'll venture into that world. And my choice starting point: Ghost World by Daniel Clowes. Why? It reminds me of one of my favourite shows, Daria, and my own teenage life (ha). But for now, I'll start with the film.

WHY NOT THEN?: I wanted to see it. But then when my then-BFF saw it, her verdict wasn't that great. And seeing as we shared so many of the same favourites, I considered it a well-advised warning to stay away. Since then, though, I haven't been able to avoid it's adoring reviews from Ebert to EW to Scott. "I wanted to hug this movie. It takes such a risky journey and never steps wrong. It creates specific, original, believable, lovable characters, and meanders with them through their inconsolable days, never losing its sense of humor," wrote Ebert. Don't tell me you can still resist it. (Plus, its the film's 10-year anniversary.)

EXPECTATIONS:
  • Small reflections of my own high school life.
  • Hilariously awkward moments.
  • Sarcastic, witty comments.
  • Satirization of teenagedom.
  • A need to get my hands on a copy of the comic ASAP.
WHAT I ACTUALLY GOT...
  • If all of my high school friends and I were condensed in two people, we'd probably be Enid (Thora Birch) and Rebecca (Scarlett Johansson). Ah, those days...
  • Steve Buscemi at possibly the best I've ever seen him (though he's almost always amazing).
  • Pretty awesome cameos from Arrested Development's (and so much more) David Cross, Lost's Patrick Fischler (or as Losties know him, Phil from the Dharma Intiative) and 2ge+her's Alex Solowitz.
  • Hilarious in-joke moments, usually in the form of sarcastic, witty comments.
  • A desire for Enid's glasses, both the serious, silver round-rims and chunky black plastic frames. And, why not, the cat eyes too.
  • A cross of Daria and Now and Then, both of which I love, creating a combo of dry wit, silly antics and screw-you attitude.
  • A need to get my hands on a copy of the comic ASAP. Someone wanna let me borrow/steal it?
  • Another favourite film.
ONE NIGHT-IN STAND OR SECOND DATE POTENTIAL?

This film is with me for life. I'm taking it home and never letting it leave. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment